The European Commission has acknowledged gender equality as a priority since the late 1990s and, to this end, the implementation of Gender Equality Plans (GEPs) across Europe has become a key strategy to realize EU gender mainstreaming policies in Academia and Research Performing Organizations (RPOs).
Consistently with this goal, the H2020 “PLOTINA” Consortium has designed and implemented self-tailored GEPs in its RPOs pursuing the following long-term objectives:
- Preventing the waste of talent related to the drop-out of female researchers, namely in the STEM fields of study, through ad-hoc recruitment, retention and career progression, as well as work-personal life integration policies
- Encouraging the increase of the number of women in governing bodies
- Promoting the integration of the sex variable and the gender dimension in research to achieve high quality scientific knowledge
- Promoting the inclusion of the sex variable and the gender dimension in teaching programmes and curricula design
- Designing indicators and tools to measure gender equality within organizations